Thursday, June 18, 2009

Training Day 9: 8km, 50:21 min

Lewa is off. Apparently someone didn't do their bit in having us registered. We were told of this on Tuesday evening. Too bad. But as the Swahili say, 'Kuvunjika kwa mwiko si mwisho wa kupika,' so my trainig will proceed as if I'm running on June 27th, 21km no less.
Yesterday the computer system was down in part of the office so we had to give up our computers for the team whose deadline was nearer than ours. That offered me a chance to leave early - and walk 11km home - which I did.
I took the usual route: Kenyatta Av - Valley Rd - Argwings Kodhek Rd - Gitanga Road. I 'had it all together' - tie, cufflinks (Nzisa Muli's words, not mine. A colleague, very sharp designer if ever there was one). My walking had thus to be inconspicuous - slow, measured and as if I was walking to a spot 100m ahead.
Carrying my two books and three newspapers, I walked calmly home. So many people were walking (I think they cannot afforf fare) and there were so many vehicles on the road. This is truly a rich man's city. Those cars ...
To the present.
The alarm went off at 459am as usual but I delayed for about 5 minutes, got up, dressed and was off. Right outside the gate, I came across two guys trying to start a matatu whose battery, I guessed, was flat. They requested I help and I did so - part of a warm up, you know.
At 515am, I started the running. There was much on my mind - a new leave policy that would rob me close to 8 days, the cancellation of the Lewa sponsorship, a crafty creditor/middleman who was about to con me of 39,000 bob ... so much.
Just as I was approaching the Precious Blood church, I heard someone running behind me. In a minute he overtook me - he was an early runner like me. That was great company, I tell you. So, I chased after him for about three minutes then fell back to pee ... and I never saw him again.
All went well. It was light, my speed was better, the legs were cool and the road was familiar. Traffic too, was light.
Down the river, up the hill (huge trucks by the roadside, dumpsite, with their lights dimmed), ILRI fence, the gate, the roundabout, two laps and back.
Just before ILRI, the road is being recarpeted so it is narrower ... thank God there wasn't much traffic.
Also in short, short supply were the runners: only three ...
Anyway, beautiful morning, wonderful wind, sweat...
Eight kilometres gone, 50 minutes done and I'm feeling ok ...

PS
1. The Ndakaini marathon date has been confirmed: It's on September 19th
2. I'm joining Jack on July 19th for a 23km run

1 comment:

  1. Pole about Lewa. How did today's run go? You haven't responded to email: Bonnie was asking if you could run kesho instead of Sunday?
    A

    ReplyDelete