Sunday, June 14, 2009

Training Day 7: 11.2km, 65min 32 sec + 11km walk

Another day of disappointment.
I set out to run 2hrs – and secretly wanted to do 53 laps – 21km but ended up doing 28 laps – 11.2km, got drenched and walked 11km.
I woke up feeling good, especially after sleeping for over 11 hours. For breakfast, I had three slices of bread, two fistfuls of groundnuts, two boiled eggs and a cup of black tea. An hour later, I made ugali and sukuma wiki. Then I set off for the track.
I got to the track at 4.07pm and started off at 4.11pm, all set to stop at 6.11pm. There was one guy running and a number of guys waiting to play soccer on the pitch. Going by the SUVs parked nearby, these didn’t look serious soccer players, rather some execs just letting off steam. Anyway, let each have their sin.
My form was good. I did the first 10 laps at a great pace. I just loved how I was feeling and how the legs were responding to the track.
All through, I was joined by five guys – at different times. They were all fast and after a lap or two they droped out did some semblance of push ups, stretches then disappeared off the scene the same way they got on it, fast.
Unfortunately, none of my workmates showed up for the run not even after a friendly invite that read in part, “Carry some water and come dressed unless you are ready to do so in the open – there is no dressing room.”
At the 20th lap, it looked like it was going to rain any second but I ignored it and ran on. Lap 21, lap 22, lap 23, lap 24, lap 25 … drops of rain. One, a long wait, another. A lull. Then two-three drops. The 27th lap, it sort of drizzled but on the 28th lap, it came down consistently. I’d carried a small rucksack. In it were a book, my cellphone, specs, a thirst and a bottle of water. I couldn’t care if they all got wet but for the phone and the book. So I stopped, picked the bag and walked away.
I didn’t go far for it now literally poured and I had to take shelter at some place in the university. After the rain subsided, I continued with my walk. Valley road, one, two, one, two, I went. Then Argwings Kodhek, hoo haa hoo haa hoo haa, I continued. Before long I was in Yaya. It had rained here too for there was mud all over the road. On and on I went then turned to Gitanga Road and before long I was in the house – 22km covered but the joy of covering them having been lost in the disappointment of not running for two hours.
Tomorrow, rather than rest, I will do an hour …

3 comments:

  1. Good work. Keep it up. If your bag was out of rain's way, you should have done the two hours in the rain - its important to learn to run in the rain because, who knows, the skies may decide to open on Marathon day. Yes, do an hour tomorrow as make-up.
    Cheers.

    ReplyDelete
  2. *Sniff* *sniff* What is that smell? *sniff* *sniff* I am smelling something....
    I think I smell d-e-f-a-u-l-t.
    Are you defaulting? Better excuse yourself with a bad stomach on Wednesday at 4pm and do the 2 hours...Did you do the 60mins today?
    *sniff*

    ReplyDelete
  3. I, ahem, own up to the double default... no, let's say I substituted the runs with walks. But I'm on it ... I can't believe Imissed out on two crucial hours, damn! I feel like dashing to the nearest shop, grab a pair of shorts and running shoes, off to the tracks, do thw two hours and be done ... but ...

    ReplyDelete