Tuesday, June 30, 2009

Training Day 12: 8km, 53:38 min

I'm back ...
It was such a struggle to leave the house; very much obeying Newton's First Law of Motion: Every body continues in its state of inertia unless compelled to do otherwise ...(so I haven't forgotten my high school physics, eh?)
The alarm went off at 5.05am but it wasn't until 5.21am that I left the house. In between, I went back to bed, closed my eyes and tried to sleep but a line from Jack's blog (http://the runningwriter.blogspot.com) - "If you quit running, nobody cares, but you'll always know" - hauled me out of bed, into my biker shorts/tracksuit/sports shoes and out into the cool morning. I actually said a prayer as I left (courtesy of Booker T. Washington's Up from Slavery - which I've been reading - where he says he made it a habit to pray every morning before embarking on any duty and before, especially public speaking.) Boy, I was in a prayer-gospel mood, what with My soul is built on nothing less/Than jesus' blood and righteousness ... On Christ solid rock I stand ... playing in my head all through. The song just came into my mind - courtesy of my high school days.
At that hour there was more traffic than is usually the case - fitting punishment for waking up late, I think. Every now and then, the matatus literally pushed me off the tarmack. What is with these drivers and their boyish enthusiasm when it comes to full lights? The other group that needs to be whipped mercilessly are those cyclists whose contraptions are without any lights - they are accident-eurs on the prowl. Enough ranting.
Started off at a steady but friendly pace. I was 'hearing' Jack tell me to do the strides, the longer the better and the safer. Down the river, up the hill - the lorries weren't there today, ILRI fence, the round about then up the road to the bridge that pours its traffic to Waiyaki way, back, one fast lap of the roundabout (felt very good) then to the road back to where I came from.
Yeah, and the road is good. The road fellas have done a great job ... they still are.
There were seven runners, al after 5.30am. There were also three people warming up/down at the roundabout - these guys are always there. Of the runners, Mr Three (so named for he was the third runner I ran into) gave me one nice run. I 'chased' him for about 5 mins then he turned back to run up ILRI ... I enjoyed that bit for it got me off autopilot and into some stretching as I tried to keep up with his pace.
A good run.
Eight kilometres done... more to follow.

PS
1. I have to admit preparing for the Lewa Marathon was a motivator of sorts. AFter I learnt it was off, I kinda lost some of the psyche - as if my goal was no longer a goal. Now there is the 23km run this month, Ndakaini in September and Stanchart in October.
2. Is it wrong to lose weight? Yesterday my friend Kate complained that I'm getting smaller and smaller. That I don't look as 'me' with less weight! She is the fifth person to worry about my weight. I am amused at this concern, really.

2 comments:

  1. By the way, you may need at least four weeks of hard work to shed off that 9 mins. It takes time and your body must change. Its good you are shedding off some weight but dont forget you need between 5 and 8 wks for your body to change. Be patient and embrace the experience. The good thing is that if you stay the course, by October you can shed more than 40mins from last years time.
    Some days will be hard, others will be easy but overall, its a worthwhile experience and the benefits outweigh the challenges.
    Cheers

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi, I am waiting for your post after the weekend run.
    Check out the following thread and share with your fellow sub 2hr seeking runners and be encouraged:
    http://www.runnersworld.com/community/forums/index.jsp?plckForumPage=ForumDiscussion&plckDiscussionId=Cat%3aTrainingForum%3a713106038Discussion%3a82c8a7ed-07ae-42f0-91dc-38203767300b

    Cheers.
    A

    ReplyDelete