Monday, June 22, 2009

Training Day 10: 21.2km, 129 min

Yipppppppppppppppeeeeeeee!!!!
I recorded four personal firsts:
a) Fastest 5km at 23 min
b) Fastest 10km at 50 min
c) Longest non-stop running: 129min
d) Longest distance covered running: 21.2km, 53laps

To the details ...
I missed the Saturday run for I was restless. I expected to travel to see my family but was broke. I expected some cash but it didn't come through by 1pm so I stayed in Nairobi.
Sunday was my 21km day. I'd informed Jack I was going for the race, hopefully in under 2 hours - the cancellation of Lewa notwithstanding. One way or the other, I left the bed at 11am... had breakfast at 12.45 and a quick lunch – githeri and avocado at 2.50pm.
I got to the track at 3.38.pm. It was so quiet, empty and inviting - no wonder three or so couples we on the greens, smiling in each other's face (I know it's an overused phrase by now.)
I peed by the side of the track, removed my employer-issue t-shirt, stuffed it in my bag and set off. Time: 3.44pm; Goal: 21km/53laps, 2hrs running whichever came earlier.
I started off quite fast, not even the fear of wearing myself out scared me, I just 'went.'
Lap after another. Stride after another ... The sun wasn't as punishing. Before I knew it, I'd done 12.5 laps/15km in 23 minutes.
At the 17th lap, I had some back pain which quickly fizzled out. I was about a third-way through, 36 laps to go.
At 4.34pm, I cleared the 25th lap/10km and started feeling the impact of it all - sweating profusely, hot all over and breathing heavily but determined to push it to the 53rd lap.
Nothing much, just me and the track. Two, three lovebirds appeared and proceeded to the greens ... a guy or two took a few laps and went to the main pitch to stretch and disappear ... but I went on.
At the 30th lap, I started a new way of counting. Instead of saying 30th lap over and over again, I went for 30-23. It was fun. Some combinations were just too enjoyable to the ear: 36-17, 37-16, 46-7, 47-6, 51-2, 52-1. The best was 50-3!
At the 43-10 count, Jack appeared. It was around 5.11pm. Finally I had company. The real guy. I was telling a colleague that if she thinks I’m crazy with my running she should meet the original, one Jacob Aliet. This guy's commitment is awesome. He runs like he is paid per run, per early morning run, per blogpost … he is just awesome. If you had an army, this is a guy you will want on your side.
From the 35th lap, I was over and finished but kept lifting a leg after another and moving forward.
Just as I crossed the line after the 50th lap, the alarm sounded - 2hrs done. So I did the last three laps to clear the 21km...
Thereafter I did 6 laps walking while drinking my water. After Jack was done, we did some heel-walk …then shared the fruit we had - he brought oranges, I brought bananas ... and left.
That was good.


PS
Our Lewa Marathon co-ordinator tells us the CEO may get us a slot at Lewa but ... I'd already given up on Lewa and made other plans ...
Let's see how it goes down.

No comments:

Post a Comment