Thursday, June 4, 2009

Training Day 1: 8km, 61min

I was up by 4:58am, thanks to three huge motivators: a) the cold bedroom; b) the irritating alarm clock, and c) Jack's near-jeremiad: "What price are you willing to pay to do a 2Hr half marathon? You must be ready to do it alone and be your own motivator and coach and running mate."
In another minute, I was all dressed up - stopwatch, tracksuit (just the trouser-part), Stanchart 2006 marathon t-shirt and Lisa, my near worthless but useful old running shoes. Oh, I always remember to carry my staff ID and 50 or 100 bob. You never know what awaits you. (The staff ID would help if I met cops or if, God forbid, I got run over by some vehicle or otherwise died, passed out etc. The 50 bob, well, what happens when I meet a hungry mugger? It is a slum...)
I left the house, closed the door, hallo-ed the watchman and out the gate. I walked for about half a kilometre to Naivasha road - my routine whenever I run in the morning - and started my running at 5:16am. A friendly pace.
It was still early, slightly dark and very few people on the road. Just perfect, if you ignore the unlit/poorly lit route and generous amount of potholes that adorn the 200 or so metres at the start.
So, this was it, I said as I ran. I was clear: I was going to do 50 minutes but no reaching Uthiru as a dumping site had come up just after the river. My plan was to get to the river and turn back, thrice, to make it just over 6km.
The first lap went well. I got to the river and turned back. On my way up, I met one guy also running. So, I am not alone this early? This is encouraging, I told myself.
On the second lap, it was more light, you could see a guy 20 or so metres ahead. This time round, I went all the way to ILRI's fence, a distance of over two and a half kilometres and turned back. Another runner, this time a girl/woman. Tall-ish, slender. A few metres down the hill, one runner, a man. Ah, so we were many.
I got to the river more relaxed, not worried about Mungiki nor marijuana smoking/puffing/inhaling chokoras.
Up the hill, I met three other runners, two men then a woman. It was now past 6 am, a few minutes to my target, 50 minutes. Somehow I got my numbers all wrong: I'd set the stopwatch alarm to go at 6:16, instead of 6:06. After the alarm went off, I ran for a minute or so, slowed down then walked my customary half a kilometre to the house.
Kawaida breakfast: Black tea, loaf and groundnuts ... then two cups of warm water ...
The journey to Lewa has just begun. This is a warm up; 61 minutes down, 1,000 or so more to follow. I can't wait to crow!
But Jack's words still ring in my mind: "What price are you willing to pay to do a 2Hr half marathon? You must be ready to do it alone and be your own motivator and coach and running mate."
One thing though: I need to follow rules. My schedule says 50 min but I did 61 min...
I am ready and willing. I just started.

3 comments:

  1. Very impressive. Its a good start. A start is a start. 5 am is very safe by the way. And instead of walking half a Km, jog slowly; its a better warm up. You don't have one stretch that you can run from home and turn at the 25th minute mark? That would be better instead of running laps.
    That way, when you will be doing 100minutes, you just stretch that distance further. I bet you can reach Valley Road.
    Cheers

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks man. I'll take up that very valuable suggestion. However, the walking puts me in a frame of mind to run.
    Valley road is in the other direction but I will take it up especially when doing the 100 or so minutes.
    Cheers

    ReplyDelete
  3. I admire your dedication. Will keep reading your posts, I might get converted.

    ReplyDelete