Saturday, June 13, 2009

Training Day 6: 11km walk

It wasn’t as it should have been. I didn’t run, not even for a minute. When I was supposed to be out there, kicking the air before me, muscles in shock as they realized kumbe they can do these things, I was dead asleep; very much a worker’s slumber – so complete nothing else seemed to matter.
As fate – or should I say some wise-ass in IT? – would have it, we couldn’t put the paper to bed by the time the system went into auto-maintenance thereby shutting us out. The guy with the know-how was nowhere to be seen. We waited 5 min, 10, 15, 30 then we said, ‘Heck, let’s get our asses outta here. We’ll sort it out tomorrow.’
Anyway, I got home at 3am and was asleep by 320am. At 5am, I just couldn’t get up … so I didn’t run. All the same, when I finally got up, I opted for squats and crunches, 25 apiece. I felt nice.
Done with the usuals – bathe, breakfast, catch a bus, get to the office, wish Sara (my lovely workmate who after a trip to Germany is looking hot these days!) a lovely birthday, get down to cleaning up the page blah blah blah …
In the afternoon, I decided to walk home, 11km away. On my way Ipassed by a friend’s office. Unfortunately, I went to the wrong building, walked 5 sets of stairs up then down! I didn’t feel so bad about it, after all it was a form of exercise. Good people, preparing for the marathon makes you that generous and positive – but do I say?
So I set off by foot. An easy pace, looking around and enjoying whatever there was to enjoy. Past Uhuru Park I saw couples smiling into each other’s eyes and I thought it beautiful. It costs almost nothing to spend the afternoon lying on the grass in Uhuru Park but the fact that the couples are there just says so much.
Further ahead, up Valley Road, then Argwings Kodhek to Gitanga Road. After Valley Arcade, there was a traffic jam that stretched all the way to Kawangware … I got home earlier than those who’d left Valley Arcade in vehicles. How nice.
So tomorrow I do 2 hours at the University track. I invited guys we are going to Lewa with; I am not sure if they will turn out but I will be there to run, 120 minutes or more. Then I will walk home …
And the running continues …
The TV is on and Preacherman Joel Osteen is going on and on…’Don’t make decisions that you gonna regret… You will see your dreams come. It may be Friday but Sunday will come. God is looking for people that have a made up mind…’ Amen.
“I may not see it happening now but I know it is on the way” Yippee!!!!!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment