Thursday, June 11, 2009

Training Day 5: 8km, 53 min

Today, I almost did a 30-min run but for the beautiful morning. First, the moon was still up (somebody tell me how to put that in correct English) so it was light enough and I could dodge the potholes quite easily. (Note to Charles Nyende: This time I wasn't night running, tee hee!).
Second, and most important, it was cold going on to chilly. I enjoy such weather unfortunately, you don't get to sweat as much as you would love to.
I can't believe almost everyone is asleep at such a time. They should be out and enjoying the cool breeze ... It is the best time to be up and about. It is so quiet, the air is fresh... just great.
Anyway, I was up by 4:58am and ready by 5:03am but started running at 5:17am. The caretaker tried to engage me in some silly banter but I waved him off, "Hey, acha nipige tizzy kidogo. Story baadaye."
I was a bit faster than the previous day for in my mind, I wanted a 30 min run. That was not to be. As soon as I got past the bridge, I thought, "What the heck, who'll punish me for doing a 50min run? No one!" So I went, leg in front of the other, punch in the air after another punch in the air .... all the way to Uthiru.
No one on the road, really. Yeah, I met some three young men just after Precious Blood Riruta. They were speaking at the top of their voices. I concluded they belonged to the friend side of the fence so I ran past them. Down the bridge, up the hill, some huge lorries, some excavators by the roadside, a van here, a matatu there... before long I was at the ILRI roundabout and taking my laps.
I was more focused too, trying to maintain the correct posture as advised by Jack while thinking of the running strategy next week - whether to do some speed runs or just stick to adding kilometres to the legs. I was also thinking of take up that challenge by Jack that I try the Gitanga-Valley road route. I would love to take it but part of the road to Congo is full of people and the matatu guys there are crazy, high or a lethat combination of the two. Equally, this side of town doesn't appreciate some guy running in the morning, they may just dispossess me of my shoes, watch and even clothes. But I will try soon - right after Lewa.
I met a total of seven runners - all after 545am. I guess that is the time most runners take to the road, for whatever reason.
After my five laps at the roundabout I got back, longer strides now and feeling the leg meet the tarmac. Nice feeling...
I got to the house still full of energy. It didn't feel like I'd done 8km at all: no muscle-scream, no much sweat, no ... just great. Once in the house, I did some 25 push-ups ... I'm in a bad shape when it comes to push ups...I don't even like them!
Anyway, another 8km done, 53 minutes gone. A few more runs then the 2hr Lewa goal will just be a walk in the park while sucking on an ice-cream cone ...

1 comment:

  1. Tis good you did 53 mins. Thats great. Just remember to stick to proper form: lift your legs clean off the ground and try to maintain an upright position. Knees up. Knees up.
    Cheers.

    ReplyDelete