Sunday, October 23, 2011

To town - UoN roundabout - and back. Sunday, October 23. 2hr 19min

Yes! I finally managed to run to town and back - two weeks later. In the previous two plans, I somehow chickened out at the last minute - thanks to fatigue and sometimes just fear.
Anyway, I couldn't miss this chance especially since the Stanchart run is on this Sunday, October 30. Two, I didn't want to commit the sacrilegious act of turning up for the race without having had a proper long run (by that I mean being on my feet running, jogging, walking or a combination of the three for a minimum of two hours).
As fate would have it, I was up by 4.30am. I had planned to leave at 5am but I didn't feel very safe at that time considering the route I was taking. At 5.20am, I left bed, dressed up, washed my face and drank some water. It was going to be the first time I was running in a cap and I hoped it would not be trouble - and it wasn't. I had not eaten as I should have in preparation for a long run - I paid for it, I tell you.
I walked from the house to Braeburn, about a kilometre away then started my running, a step after another. Braeburn, Amboseli, Valley Arcade, Methodist, Bangladesh and on to Argwings Kodhek all the way to Yaya Centre. Time used up: 23 minutes.
That was encouraging; in fact, I started doubting if Braeburn to PanAfric was 10km. This thought was more plausible by the fact that I reached the Hurlingham-Nairobi Hospital roundabout at time 39 min meaning I would be at PanAfric in less than 6 minutes; that is, Braeburn to PanAfric, 45 min. Not with my kawaida speed, I 'refused.'
All the same, I ran down Valley Road but on reaching PanAfric, I saw no reason to turn back. I went on down Kenyatta Avenue then Uhuru Highway to the UoN roundabout. Time: 52 min.
I was out of air and feeling light like a piece of paper. Too bad. I was all the way in town and there was no room for taking a matatu. Two reasons: After the running, I was all sweaty; so rule out sitting in a matt with other people that early. Two, and very important, pride. Of what use is it to run to town only to come back in a matt?
So I ran back but on reaching end of Kenyatta Avenue, start of Valley Road, I dumped Valley Road for Milimani Road, past Amaica restaurant as if going to NPC but turned right past DoD, the Russian Embassy (that must be Lenana Road, I think), that hospital for Spinal Injury, Nigerian High Commission all the way to the road that joins Argwings Kodhek road at Kilimani Primary. At the time I was so wasted I reached into my pocket, got some Ksh50 and bought water. With that, ladies and gentlemen, I started the second phase of the run: run, jog, walk ... time: 1:38:11.94. Bit by bit, step after another, I dragged myself home, 41 minutes in all. Hungry and tired.
When I got home, I was more than happy to shower and turn my attention to food: Two mugs of uji, six slices of bread and some pineapple. Then I slept.
Jack estimated the distance from Braeburn to Uon roundabout and back to Kilimani Primary to be 18km. So, 3kms shy of the 21km. Not bad. I should try to do this run every week until I can conquer Valley Road...
'Moving forward' - a phrase so beloved of my business writer colleagues - I have one more warm up run on Tuesday or Wednesday. For now, I need to eat right and relax.
Cheers folks.

No comments:

Post a Comment